Joseph A. Costa, D.O.
The UF College of Medicine-Jacksonville Division of Urology provides compassionate, timely, and high quality academic urological care to the residents of northeast Florida and southeast Georgia. The Urology Center's staff is composed of four academic urological surgeons with three non-physician providers. They are supported by numerous nursing and medical assistant staff as well as other departments at the University of Florida and Shands Jacksonville campus. In addition to general urology, the UF Urology Center specializes in the care of:
- Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery which includes male urethral stricture disease, female incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse, including complications of prior mesh surgery, and traumatic injury of the urinary system. Currently UF and Shands Jacksonville has one of the nation’s largest patient databases following women who have had transvaginal mesh surgery
- Traumatic and Congenital Spinal Cord Injury as it relates to bladder and bowel function. UF and Shands Jacksonville leads North Florida in the urologic care of traumatic and congenital SCI and has an active transition program partnered with Nemours Children’s Clinic for continuity of care as adolescents mature into adulthood.
- Genitourinary Oncology involves a multidisciplinary team of specialists dedicated to individualizing cancer care for patients by offering state of the art clinical trials and therapeutic interventions including minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, cryotherapy, and DaVinci robotic surgery. In addition, the Urology Center works closely with the UF Proton Therapy Institute in providing a team approach to urological cancers.
- Urinary Stone Disease utilizes ESWL and both antegrade and retrograde endourological surgical techniques to help patients become stone free with minimal recovery time. For recurrent stone formers, in close collaboration with the departments of nephrology and endocrinology, an evaluation is completed to elucidate possible treatable causes of stone formation.
- Andrology, a urologic subspecialty focusing on male factor infertility, erectile dysfunction, and treating low testosterone (hypogonadism). Some of the techniques offered to assist our andrology patients include, reversal of prior vasectomies, microsurgical varicocele repairs, and the insertion of inflatable penile prostheses.
Thank you for your interest in our division. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Joseph A. Costa, D.O.
Assistant Dean for Clinical Informatics; Chief, Division of Urology