Getting into Adolescent HEADS!
The HEADS survey is a useful clinical tool to screen for adolescent generic health and psychosocial issues in clinical consultations.
- Home - relationships, social support, household chores
- Education - school, exams, work experience, career
Are you at school? What year are you in? What is your favorite subject?
- Exercise - General
How do you keep fit? What about dancing, martial arts…
- Activities - peers
What do you do for fun? What do you do with your friends?
- Affect - Many young people feel down or sad at times. When did you last feel like this?
Have you ever felt that life is not worth living?
- Ambitions - What do you want to do when you leave school?
- Dental Care
- Diet - calcium, vitamin D, weight, caffeine
- Drugs, cigarettes, alcohol - Some young people experiment with cigarettes and alcohol. In your year at
school, do people smoke, drink, or use illicit drugs? What about your friends?
- Sex - concerns, periods, contraception
Most young people become more interested in closer relationships at your age.
Do you have close friends? Have you ever been sexually active?
- Sleep - Adapted from: Goldenring JM, Cohen E. Getting into adolescent heads. Contemp Pediatr 1988